[ox] First Monday Konferenz: New Definitions: Value Community Space

Hi Liste!

Ich glaube, es hatte noch niemensch auf die Konferenz (nächstes
Wochenende :-( ) in Heerlen bei Maastricht in den Niederlanden
hingewiesen:

	www.infonomics.nl/newdefinitions

Klingt recht interessant für unsere Diskussionen. Anbei die
Ankündigung.

						Mit Freien Grüßen

						Stefan

--- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< ---
FM1 New Definitions: Value, Community, Space

First Monday & International Institute of Infonomics

November 4-6, 200
Heerlen/Maastricht

The issues

The impact on society of the technologies of "digitisation" has
transcended the limits of any single discipline. It is universal and
ubiquitous, affecting everything.

This leads us to ask whether-and how-digitisation affects our basic
concepts about society. Basic concepts such as value, community, law,
space-these cut across boundaries of scientific discipline, and they
cross the lines between policy-makers, business and academia.

Do these concepts change with the impact of new information and
communication technologies? If so, how much, and what are these
changes?

The questions

This conference will bring together the world's leading thinkers and
doers in various fields-from anthropology to law, economics to
information technology-to ask: What, if anything, is new about the way
we redefine our understanding of these concepts?

How do we adjust our notions of value, given the rise of non-monetary
activities of production and consumption such as in the world of free
software? How do we measure value, without prices? What is the meaning
of money, with the emergence of new electronic currencies and payment
systems?

What do we think of community, when the scope of this word seems both
broader and narrower than ever before? How are communities being built
and how are they held together, with ties that now seem so intangible?
What happens when trust and reputation are of increasing importance to
form social networks, but your identity is so hard to prove? What
happens to law and order, when the borders that used to define
jurisdiction disappear?

Have our notions of space changed-and how does navigating through
cyberspace relate to working one's way through brickspace? What role
does space-geographical, economic-play in deciding the impact of
digitization? Space can be trancended through new media to increase
freedom and democracy-but is a new space emerging that increases
inequality?

The format

This conference is uniquely designed to contrast opinions from
different disciplines in sessions linked by common themes: Value,
Community, Space. A special Crosstalk session each day brings together
participants from the different themes in debate, to elicit a broader
understanding of the issues that face us.

Who will speak

This conference emerges from First Monday's reputation as a source of
quality ideas and research on digitisation and society. Beginning with
keynote presentations from two of First Monday's well-known editorial
board members, this conference draws on First Monday's long list of
authors, some of the foremost thinkers in their fields.

Who should attend

This conference will offer insights into issues that are critical to
economic, social and technological development in Europe as well as
worldwide. It will appeal to everyone concerned with the emerging
understanding of digitization and its impact on society, policy and
business. We expect as participants academics, corporate officers,
government policy makers, thinkers and activists from around the
world.