Thema:  GNU/Linux for the ICC
Datum:  14.06.2002 17:33:04 Westeuropäische Normalzeit
From:    peter.g.smith worldnet.att.net (Peter G. Smith)
To:  Kxx4493553 aol.com

Hello!

    I received your email address from our mutual friend, Doug Millison.  In
fact, he gave me your email address last fall after the incidents of
Se[tember 11.  I lost it when I had to redo my Linux installation.  Now that
I am trying to promote GNU/Linux for the ICC, I want to share with you the
email I am sending around.  I hope that you approve.  Here it is.

Hello!

        I write to make sure that you know about an excellent idea.  I hope
generate the impetus for making GNU/Linux the operating system for the
computers at the new International Criminal Court.

        I refer specifically to the work of Richard Stallman and the Free
Software Foundation.  Anyone who has read the personal website of RMS will
recognize immediately how his political philosophy fits the purposes of the
Court.  More important than the personal, however, is the power of the GNU
General Public License to promote the openness and accountability necessary
not just for excellence in software, but for competence in government and, as
I firmly believe, for the development of the international law of human
rights.  The foundation in logic and law for the creativity of GNU/Linux and
other free software is the GNU GPL.  Does any other combination of technology
and license evoke such creativity?  Would any other combination respond so
well to the philosophical challenge of this innovative court?  Could there
possibly be a better technology for building the architecture of the
international law of human rights?

  More than fifty years ago when the Manhattan Project finally succeeded
in detonating the prototype of atomic ordinance, Albert Einstein, the
pacifist who initiated the Project nonetheless, seeing no alternative to the
menace of totalitarianism at war, saw clearly that now everything had changed
and only our thinking remained the same.  Clearly, I can see a rare
opportunity to promote the best of technology in an unprecedented experiment
to resolve the cycles of war with openness and accountability.  To my way of
thinking this is a truly historic opportunity which, if lost, might never
come again.

        So I am writing to any and all who might take an interest in
promoting
GNU/Linux for the ICC.  Send me any suggestions and comments, please, and
feel free to promote the idea and to share it with as many as possible.

        Thanks for reading my email.  Send it on, if you like what you have
read.

                                        Sincerely,

                                      Peter Smith

[2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]