Date:  Sat, 22 Jun 2002 16:27:10 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]
From:  "Volker Grassmuck" <vgrass rz.hu-berlin.de>
Subject:  [wos] freie sw projekte: das werk einzelner?
To:  wos post.openoffice.de

Literaturhinweis:

Sandeep Krishnamurthy, Assistant Professor of E-Commerce and Marketing,
Business Administration Program, University of Washington

Cave or Community? An Empirical Examination of 100 Mature Open Source
Projects, in Firstmonday
http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue7_6/krishnamurthy/

ABSTRACT
Starting with Eric Raymond?s groundbreaking work, The Cathedral and the
Bazaar, open-source software (OSS) has commonly been regarded as work
produced by a community of developers. Yet, given the nature of software
programs, one also hears of developers with no lives that work very hard to
achieve great product results. In this paper, I sought empirical evidence that
would help us understand which is more common- the cave (i.e., lone
producer) or the community. Based on a study of the top 100 mature products
on Sourceforge, I find a few surprising things. First, most OSS programs are
developed by individuals, rather than communities. The median number of
developers in the 100 projects I looked at was 4 and the mode was 1-
numbers much lower than previous ones reported for highly successful
projects! Second, most OSS programs do not generate a lot of discussion.
Third, products with more developers tend to be viewed and downloaded more
often. Fourth, the number of developers associated with a project is unrelated
to the age of the project. Fifth, the larger the project, the smaller the percent of
project administrators.

Kommentar:

[...]

------- End of Forwarded Message