Date: 24. september 2003 12:40 -0400
From: "Karim R. Lakhani" <lakhani MIT.EDU>
To: community <community opensource.mit.edu>, discuss opensource.mit.edu, air-l <air-l aoir.org>
Subject: [Air-l] 7 new papers on opensource.mit.edu

HI Y'All!

I hope the new academic year for everyone has started well.  I am in the
midst of my PhD comprehensive exams (written component was last friday and
this coming friday is the oral!) - but felt kind of guilty with the long
que of articles that needed to be posted.  Any way, as usual we have had a
great summer harvest!  Please do send your comments to the authors.

Many thanks to all the authors for their submissions.

Here are the papers:

Paper 1
Authors:
Casadesus-Masanell, Ramon & Pankag Ghemawat
Title:
Dynamic Mixed Duopoly: A Model Motivated by Linux vs. Windows
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/masanellghemawat.pdf
Abstract:
This paper analyzes a dynamic mixed duopoly in which a profit-maximizing
competitor interacts with a competitor that prices at zero (or marginal
cost), with the cumulation of output affecting their relative positions
over time. The modeling effort is motivated by interactions between Linux,
an open-source operating system, and Microsofts Windows in the computer
server segment, and consequently emphasizes demand-side learning effects
that generate dynamic scale economies (or network externalities).
Analytical characterizations of the equilibrium under such conditions are
offered, and some comparative static and welfare effects are examined.

Paper 2
Authors:
Demil, Benoit & Xavier Lecocq
Title:
Neither market or hierarchy or network: The emerging bazaar governance
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/demillecocq.pdf
Abstract
Despite the growing body of literature describing the open-source
phenomenon, few contributions have been theoretically grounded and research
has largely focused on the software industry. Drawing on transaction cost
economics, we go beyond these limitations and advance that open source
constitutes a new generic governance structure?which we label bazaar
governance? based on a specific contract. We characterize this structure in
terms of its strengths and weaknesses and in comparison with market, firm
and network structures. We consider how bazaar governance is actualized
within an industry and the institutional entrepreneur?s crucial role in
this process. Finally, we propose that bazaar governance has a profound
impact on the structure of the industry in which it is introduced.

Paper 3
Authors:
González-Barahona, Jesús M & Gregorio Robles
Title:
Free software engineering: A field to explore
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/barahonarobles.pdf
Abstract:
The challenge of free software is not that of a new competitor who, under
the same rules, produces software faster, cheaper and of a better quality.
Free software differs from "traditional" software in more fundamental
aspects, starting with philosophical reasons and motivations, continuing
with new economic and market rules and ending up with a different way of
producing software. Software Engineering cannot ignore this phenomenon, and
the last five years or so has seen ever more research into all these
issues. This article takes a look at the most significant studies in this
field and the results they are producing, with a view to providing the
reader with a vision of the state of the art and the future prospects of
what we have come to call free Software Engineering.
Paper 4
Authors:
Lakhani, Karim R & Bob Wolf
Title:
Why Hackers Do What They Do: Understanding Motivation and Effort in
Free/Open Source Software Projects
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/lakhaniwolf.pdf
Abstract:
In this paper we report on the results of a study of the effort and
motivations of individuals to contributing to the creation of Free/Open
Source software. We surveyed 684 software developers in 287 F/OSS projects,
to learn what lies behind the effort put into such projects. Academic
theorizing on individual motivations for participating in F/OSS projects
has posited that external motivational factors in the form of extrinsic
benefits are the main drivers of effort. We find in contrast, that
enjoyment-based intrinsic motivation, namely how creative a person feels
when working on the project, is the strongest and most pervasive driver. We
also find that user need, intellectual stimulation derived from writing
code, and improving programming skills are top motivators for project
participation. ***************************************************
Paper 5
Authors:
Stewart, Katherine J & Sanjay Gosain
Title:
Impacts of ideology, trust, and communication on effectivness in open
source software development teams
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/stewartgosain.pdf
Abstract:
This paper develops a framework of the OSS ideology (including specific
norms, beliefs, and values) and a theoretical model to show how components
of the ideology, combined with trust and communication, impact
effectiveness in OSS teams. The research model proposes distinct roles for
affective trust, cognitive trust, social communication, and task
communication as determinants of OSS team effectiveness. The results
suggest that in order for OSS projects to grow into the kind of large
successes that prior work has studied, the teams that work on them should
foster the norms and values of the larger community and maintain consistent
task communication to develop cognitive trust among members.
Authors:
van Reijswoud, Victor & Corrado Topi
Title:
Alternative Routes in the Digital World: Open Source Software in Africa
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/reijswoudtopi.pdf
Abstract:
Software allows people to work with computers. Operating Software controls
the hardware components and application software provide tools to
facilitate and support the users' work. Most of the softwares are owned by
private people or companies and users by licenses to use the software. This
type of software is called proprietary or closed source software since the
user purchases a license for using the product and the actual product
(source code). At present Microsoft and Oracle are the biggest producers of
this type software in the world. In the two decades a new approach for
software development is emerging. Open Source Software movement is built on
the premise that better software is produced when everyone is allowed to
modify and change the software. So, in stead of selling user licenses, the
product (source code) is distributed. The article discusses the differences
between Open and Closed Source Software and reasons that organizations in
the African context should decide to embrace the Open Source Software
initiative. Several emerging initiatives promoting the use of Open Source
Software are considered.
Paper 7
Author
Barnes, Jonathan
Title:
Open Source Software as an organisational Technology
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/barnes.pdf
Abstract:
This paper is still relatively preliminary, yet it provides a decent
introduction to open source, as well as including discussion on various
economic issues, contained in the following sections: The benefits of Open
Source, Possible incentives that encourage contribution, Barriers to
widespread implementation of Open Source.

--
Karim R. Lakhani
MIT Sloan School of Management