Re: [ox] Re: [ox-en] Berlin Declaration on Open Access

Hi again,

(partly) answering one of my own questions:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Graham Seaman wrote:

Also, do you have any idea what they mean by the last sentence:

We realize that the process of moving to open access changes the
dissemination of knowledge with respect to legal and financial aspects.
Our organizations aim to find solutions that support further development
of the existing legal and financial frameworks in order to facilitate
optimal use and access.

One of the links from the site goes to an economic study by the Welcome
trust:

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/en/images/SciResPublishing3_7448.pdf

 Apart from explaining how Elsevier Press has adopted tactics suprisingly
similar to Microsoft's, which has started all this process off, they
discuss the economic implications of various models, including the 'open
access' model. They conclude that this will be good, because it will
integrate researchers more thoroughly in a market, since while the results
will be free to readers, the researchers will have to pay to have their
research published in a prestigious open-access journal. So costs will be
shifted from libraries (and universities) to researchers. See sections
5.10, and in more detail 4.33, 4.34

And I thought I was being too cynical... :-(

Graham