DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER

Die hier archivierte Mail kann, muss sich aber nicht auf den Themenkomplex von Oekonux beziehen.

Insbesondere kann nicht geschlossen werden, dass die hier geäußerten Inhalte etwas mit dem Projekt Oekonux oder irgendeiner TeilnehmerIn zu tun haben.

DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER

Message 00568 [Homepage] [Navigation]

[chox] Einladung von Artikeln

Ein wissenschaftliches elektronisches Journal, das die Autoren zwingt, sich
auf 2[PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] Worte zu beschränken und dadurch lesbar bleibt und
eine Gelegenheit, einschlägiges zu publizieren.

Franz

OPEN: CALL FOR PAPERS
A special issue of M/C -- Media and Culture
http://www.media-culture.org.au/

Since the rebranding of Free Software into Open Source in 1998, "open" has
become the buzzword for all things progressive on and off the Internet.
Open
Law, Open Hardware, Open Culture, Open Publishing, Open Access or Open
Archives are just some of the many concepts which are being retooled to
serve
the more or less defined public good in the Information Society.

Yet, at the same time, multinational corporations have become major actors
in
the Open Source Software area and commercial publishers are beginning to
seriously look into Open Access model. In the background of the recent
enthusiasm with "open" lurks the "Open Society" concept of Karl Popper,
whose
political preferences for Margret Thatcher's neoliberalism are well known.

OPEN aims to take a critical look at this concept of the "open". Is it a
temporary buzzword that signifies nothing but an astute sense of
salesmanship? Is it an alternative social concept, or just yet another
step
in making capitalism ever more flexible? What is it that makes something
"open" and are some projects more "open" than others? Is "open" always
better
than closed? How does "open" relate to areas where we might value closure,
for example,  personal privacy? Can we imagine an even more open concept
of
social, cultural and economic life?

For the upcoming OPEN edition for M/C, we are inviting papers between 1000
and
2000 words that critically examine the concept of "open" from any
perspective. We invite equally theoretical investigations of the concept
as
empirical studies of particular  projects with special regard to their
"openess" or "closeness".

Guest Editors for OPEN:
McKenzie Wark, core faculty in media and communication, Lang College, New
School University, and guest scholar, American Studies, New York
University
<mw35 nyu.edu>

Felix Stalder, Lecturer in  Media Economy at the New Media Department,
Academy
of Art and Design, Zurich, head of research at Openflows.org and
co-moderator
of the nettime mailing list.
<felix openflows.org>

Article deadline: 19 March 2004