Re: [ox] what I meant to say...

graham belegost.mit.edu wrote:

B. The second point isn't a proposal for Oekonux-the-group, but maybe for
individuals in the group.
There are many areas with obvious parallels and connections with free software.
Sometimes individuals work in them, but there is no easy-to-find internet
resource for them inspired by FSF/Oekonux-like ideas. In some cases the
gap gets filled by commercial sites (this has happened to a large extent
with embedded systems); otherwise, things just take longer to develop than
they might otherwise. Random examples where I know of individuals or
isolated groups doing work but don't know of any general web resources
are free biology/genetics, and manufacturing control systems; someone
in the conference suggested ecology-friendly power systems as a topic. The
potential list is endless; it just depends on peoples backgrounds/interests.
If any is interested in developing such sites, I'm hoping to develop the Open Collector site code into something more general purpose. At the moment it's a very boring perl/php/mysql mix; I'd like to replace
that with an XML-based format allowing easy interchange of data between
related sites (related topics or same topic,different language). Unlike
current web-site code I know of (eg slashcode, scoop) which mainly give
appearance/functionality, with perhaps rdf added as an afterthought,
I'd like to make the data (text/news articles/reviews/links/designs/ etc)
central, so sites using it could have completely different functionality
or appearance. Would anyone be interested in collaborating on this?
The catch is, you'd need to set up a website dealing with a new area ;-)

could you give me some more details on this one... i am currently thinking
about building networks of people (with skills, resources, ideas, projects
etc.) with rdf, and the necessary technology to "query" this network, like
gnutella, for things you need or other people interested in the same stuff.

people could publish "themselves", their skills and resources and also the
other people they are "connected" to (whatever this means - it is not clear
to me if we need different types of links like "people i know", "people i
trust", "people i love" etc.) on their website (well, i think thats basically
what rdf is all about ;), and have a simple means for sending requests out to
their "neighbours", who in turn forward the request to their neighbours and
so on. with this structure it should be possible to build quite large sharing
and exchange networks without a central server or mechanisms of power.

so it may be that we are actually thinking about very similar things?

cheers,

f/0

--
|-
| Flo Ledermann <flo subnet.at>
| "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
| will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK
|-
| http://www.mediavirus.org//f/0/
|-