[ox] Live aus Vis - Brief von Andrius Kulikauskas

(ausnahmsweise auf die Hauptliste statt auf chat)

Das Developer Camp in VIS hat begonnen, meines Erachtens
eine höchst spannende Veranstaltung, und Andrius
Kulikauskas schickte soeben einen ersten Bericht.
Ich sehe darin einen schönen Test, inwieferne sich
die Produktionsbedingungen für "dreifach freie Software"
herstellen lassen. Die Hintergründe könnt Ihr unten
im Brief lesen.

Übrigens: Andrius wird wohl am 12. September in Wien sein
und es wird wahrscheinlich einen Workshop mit Pierre Levy
über "kollektive Intelligenz" geben. Falls jemand Gründe und
Interesse an Teilnahme hat, bitte mich zu kontaktieren.

FN

Dear all!

Thank you for your letters!

Yesterday I took a ferry to this Croatian island which is much like
California.  I hope to go swimming today, but also catch up on
letters and plans.  I will be here for one week.  I share a letter
that I wrote to a different group we moderate
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/personalbrain/

Andrius
http://www.ms.lt
-------------------------------

Hi Chin and all!

I am writing from the Croatian island of Vis.  I am attending a
software camp http://www.tacticaltech.org for nongovernmental
organizations.  There will be 80 coders, implementers, developers,
activists from 35 countries.

My goal here is to learn more about this kind of work, what is
effective.  Ian Bruk is funding our lab, Minciu Sodas, to write a
proposal for the OSI IP call for proposals for software for civil
society organizations.  More details at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minciu_sodas_en/message/3360

The (George Soros) Open Society Institute Information Program is a
sponsor of the camp.  A lot of people here doing important work
around the world to apply software to help human rights causes, etc.

It looks like Internet access is good here, and there will be some
free time each day, so I hope to make progress on completing my work
for deepquest.net  Also, I have already spoken with some people here
about the kind of working openly that Chin and I are doing.

My focus for the proposal that I am writing is to help people make
effective use of marginal Internet access so they might participate
effectively in Internet society.  In particular, to expand the
concept of the Wizzy Digital Courier http://www.wizzy.org.za which
lets, for example, children at a school write emails and create web
pages, and they all get uploaded at night when the rates are
different, or they get put on a disk and sent by bicycle to a
neighboring school, and likewise with downloads.

TheBrain and related tools for thinking are important because the
more intensely, deeply, profoundly we can work as indviduals, the
more effective rhythm we can have in situations with marginal
access.  I am writing a fractal proposal where, given $100,000, we
would devote $25,000 for 125 coders to work at $200 to serve
individuals with related needs.  (And $25,000 for 25
investigators/developers at $1,000, and likewise for 5 organizers at
$5,000, and finally $25,000 for me.)

The proposal is taking shape, we will have five clusters, it looks
like:
- One centered around Joy Tang of OneVillage.biz and Africa
- Another around Franz Nahrada of GIVE for telecottages in the Balkans
- Also in Lithuania I think for self-learners traveling through the
villages.
- I want to set one up around Neil McEvoy and/or Michael Wolff in
Scotland with ki-work
- I want to set up a group of techies based in Silicon Valley, for
example, around Blue Oxen.

I invite people who would like to participate in some way.  Also, I
will be looking for small and large businesses that would like to
fund related work for business opportunity they see.

I arrived just yesterday here in Vis.  The sponsors gave me a travel
allowance, so I was able to take trains and buses from Lithuania with
a two day stop at Budapest, where the OSI IP is centered, and also
two days in Bosnia.  I will also be traveling on my way out, so I
will try to do work here this week to finish, especially because
there are lots of experts here.

For deepquest.net, the XML searchbox looks quite straightforward.
The trick for me will be with the frames.  I want to make sure that
the JavaScript runs correctly as it is making use of the anchors.  So
introducing frames will make this tricky.  Let us think about this,
how this needs to work!

Sorry I was so long to reply!

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
Minciu Sodas
http://www.ms.lt
ms ms.lt

Each letter sent to minciu_sodas_en yahoogroups.com
enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN whenever it does not state otherwise.
http://www.primarilypublicdomain.org/letter/
Please credit our authors!