[ox] Re: [ox-en] Theses about the relation between the Oekonux project and the remaining world

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller wrote:

[German version sent to [ox]]

The question that occured recently on the [pox] list was not
whether Oekonux is a 'leftist' project or not. Instead, the
issue was that there was an offer to merge the Oekonux
conference with another conference, the 'Austrian Social Forum'.
The ASF will be ten times as big than the Oekonux conference,
and that project consideres itself 'left'. In return, Oekonux
would get almost the complete infrastructure for its conference
from the ASF.

OK, I didn't understand from Stefan's mail that this issue was about the
Austrian Social Forum - I thought the references to the 'left' were to
some small old-style Trotskyist or Stalinist groups, not the movement of
which (in my opinion) we are a part.

Unless there is something bizarrely different about the Austrian Social
Forum from that of other countries, then of course we should be involved
wsith it. In fact, in a way we already are - I see from
http://www.socialforum.at/sf/it
that there will be 50 Linux systems available, free radio groups, etc.
It doesn't seem that the people setting up those Linux systems have a
problem of being 'identified with the left'.

So the only question for me is whether we should be involved by the
Oekonux conference being separate, but sending some kind of 'delegation' -
offering speakers etc - or whether we should be involved by being a
sub-part of the ASF meeting itself.

Personally I would have voted to hold the conference as part of the ASF
meeting - and I would have seen this as a step forward for Oekonux. What
better or more relevant audience could you ask for? But it seems the
decision has already been taken. So is is still possible for us to be
involved with the ASF in other ways, or are we condemned to splendid
isolation? And if so, what is the aim of this conference - to talk about
theories?

Graham

However, Stefan Mn. has categorically denied this offer, arguing
that an outsider might get the false impression that Oekonux is
a leftist project, and some who don't consider themselves 'left'
might even feel not invited.

I think that these fears are farly exaggerated, and that it would
have been possible to clarify within the announcements that
Oekonux is a project that is open for everybody. I think, the
question whether the ASF would have a problem with this openness
is more interesting.

cu,
Thomas }:o{#
-- - http://217.160.174.154/~sloyment/ - --
"Look! They have different music on the dance floor..."
http://www.oekonux.org/