Re: [ox] Re: [ox-en] role of science and universities

Hi Rich ;-)

We have to appreciate that all we are doing is still largely founded on
academic networks.

Can you explain this statement, as I can't think of a meaning for it
where it is true?

One example in a technical sense
It was the academic networks like ACONET that until recently were
the main source of Internet Connectivity in SE Europe.
I would like also to think about more general meanings.
For example in the glass bead game, at one point Hesse
emphasizes on the relations between cars, ships and everything
that works well in the outside world and the order created
in the world of thought by scientific discourse. I think that
holds deep truth.

It reminds me a little bit of the situation 400 - 500 years ago when the
Universities
were founded.

Everybody then said: lets move out of the monasteries!

When the University I went to was founded, it was because Oxford was a
dangerous place where you couldn't get any work done. (I understand
little has changed)

is that one of that notorious oxford-cambridge jokes?

Mind you, they didn't let women there for 500 years after it was
founded, so I think they were trying to keep the monastery element.

Maybe they were even a little bit worse -in the middle ages they even
started women monasteries, after there was too much mingling.

And in a way, the monasteries lost a lot of their importance.

Physical location of large libraries. [Is there a study on this anywhere?]

I think there are some monastery libraries still valid. But the national
library system has outperformed them.

But it would be an error to assume that monasteries did not continue
to play a certain role in the scientific system.

Mendel, for example.

I find this another exciting application of McLuhans Laws of Media.

Can you be more specific?

Laws of Media..

a good online scheme is on
http://www3.sympatico.ca/federman/MerrillConsulting/transform/ncb2.htm

of course i refer to the "Law of Retrieval".

You can get addicted to those four dynamics, even more than to Dialectic &
Historical Materialism, which has no sense of retrieval ;-)

Franz