Re: [ox] Re: Reproduktion, Arbeit, Leistungsprinzip?

Dear Graham,

If there is an unpleasant job that people require to
 be done before they can satisfy their own needs (a new computer,
 in your example), then there are 3 possibilities (at least):

 1. Find a new organization or technology that does not require
 this unpleasant work, or needs less of it (maybe plastic computers?)
 2. Find a way to automate the unpleasant work so it does not need
 to be done by humans
 3. Find something to offer people to do the unpleasant work
 sufficiently good to act as an incentive.

 1 and 2 would be the driving force for technical development,
 in place of profit. If this is possible, there is no fundamental
 reason why it should not work between continents as well as
 within countries (eg. Bolivian tin miner: 'if you want our tin,
 you must help us to design automated mining systems').

I think, 1. and 2. will not be possible in many cases, a lot of work will
remain to be done.

 Yes, there
 would be long chains of dependencies, but these also exist now.
 They are not satisfied magically by the market now; the market
 co-ordinates things which already exist and would be a basis for
 a different system with a different method of co-ordination - I don't see
 why you assume everything must be created from zero.

Even if it is "only" to maintain existing productions and division of work I
see the problem.

Yours

Ralf Krämer
Fresienstr. 26