Re(2): [ox] Computers for Africa was: Re what I meant to say

graham schreibt:

And IMO very large numbers of people in EVERY country (OK, possibly not
some African countries most affected by war) have access to the internet.
Even if its only 5% of the population and not 50%, thats still a lot
of people.

well..... we could only give an example how to increase the number:

http://www.vum.at/kamerun001.html

and the following pages....read them and enjoy!

seriously, we need to consider a structure to support this effort and
transform it to a self-supporting community....There is mutual
benefit from this contact. Some people laughed in the Workshop
on "Informationsgesellschaft" when I quoted this example (it was
really not the best one) for closing the "Kreislauf"-
but I think it has serious potential.

As you said, Africa has to give us a lot, allthough in the first
run we need to pay back a lot. Nobody talks about the 11.5 millions of
people
the army of King Leopold of Belgium slaughtered in Kongo for "our"
rubber...
(John Reader, Africa, Penguin books, London 1998 zitiert nach
P:M. subcoma) except a very few people..If this is a fact,
these were Holocaust - dimensions! If some Ed Fagan came
along and turned this into a court affair... some people would make
wide, wide eyes.... In fact according to the FAZ 21.8.1999 there
is such a collective claim with a Streitwert of 377 Trillion Dollars....
again I quote P.M., and hope that this source is reliable.

It equals to the BNP of the leading world economies of ten years....!!

I am not advocating this, because I think we must do away with
violence and economy, but I am glad this comes to light...it will help
us to seek for entirely new solutions and have the old world die in its
contradictions.

My friend John McConnell, an 80 year Old American who founded
Earth Day, uses to say: We need a moral equivalent to war - an effort
of communication, construction and cooperation. This is the
only way to peace. And this is it.

Franz