Re: [ox] Re: [ox-en] goal of oekonux, theory vs. practice, the new social movements and the left

Stefan and lists,

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Stefan Merten wrote:

Graham: Works good this discussion on both lists simultaneously :-) .

Hmm... not so good for german-only speakers though - few people dare to
mix the languages, apart from the extremely conscientious ones who
translate every word.

Personally, I would love to be at the ASF and Oekonux Conference
simultaneously,

Why? Is it because you are interested in both events and this is a
nice opportunity to save time and money - which I find a completely
legitimate reason on a personal basis

Yes, the personal part is for that reason

- or do you think an Oekonux
conference could have a substantial gain from such a setup it could by
no means have in Vienna in a university?

I would hope that an oekonux conference that was part of the ASF would
attract new people and new ideas from among those attending the ASF.
Especially in areas of overlap;  eg.

- areas which are information but not software based, such as people
involved with genetics

- areas where people are fighting against laws related to but not
identical to those faced by free software, such as anti-TRIPS activists,
etc.

Maybe this is naive of me, I have never been involved with any of the
Social Forums.

Also (and negatively) I would be afraid that the two conferences will
appeal to the same audience - and that if the two conferences are
simultaneous, only members of the oekonux list will turn up at the oekonux
conference and everyone else will got to the ASF. It seems unlikely to me
that people who do not know Vienna will travel across town to a conference
created by an organisation they have never heard of.

[I believe there may be a speaker from Hipatia at the ASF - Vicente, do
you know if JuanCarlo or Diego is going?]

This would be a nice opportunity to lower costs because only one
flight from South America(?) needs to be paid then.

It might not be necessary - we might be able to get a speaker from
Hipatia-Italia, or Hipatia-Espana. Once dates for Oekonux and the relation
with the ASF are clarified it will be easier to ask them 'officially'.
Diego Saravia would be a very good speaker to have, if he could come.
And of course Vicente Ruiz is already here ;-)

by the way, after all the problems with forming the oekonux-verein: the
approach hipatia is taking to this is to create an international 'verein'
first, but based in Italy - where apparently the laws make it more
straightforward to do this. National bodies will be formed later (that is,
bodies in a formal legal sense - the people are already there ;-).

Graham