[ox] Re: [pox] Re: License for a Wiki

I send this also to the main list, since I think it is not only pox-relevant.

If the pages in question would have been licensed under the CC-BY license, you would have cancelled your granted rights as well. Here are the relevant excerpts from CC-BY 2.0:

This can be done as easily as putting a link to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0 (best with the CC img as proposed on creativecommons.org) in each of the page footers.

| This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically
| upon any breach by You of the terms of this License.

I think this can only be interpreted in such a way that the license automatically renews if the license breaching action is healed (e.g. if Stefan puts a disclaimer in the footer of each Wiki page). I.e., _if_ we agree to put all Wiki-4-material under GFDL and have such an information in the footer, _you_ have no legal way to forbid us to use the material that you released earlier under the GFDL. That's the main point as I understood GFDL so far.

Such footer declarations could even be given on a per page basis. Hence I see no problem to import Wiki-2 content if each Wiki page has an (immutable) footer disclaimer that all material on that page is GFDL'ed.

On the other hand, after all discussions I would prefer not to declare GFDL as the default Wiki-4 license but CC-BY.

ShareAlike for code vs. texts: I think the main difference here is that code has an attribute 'running' and text has not.

HGG

--

  Prof. Dr. Hans-Gert Graebe, Inst. Informatik, Univ. Leipzig
  Augustusplatz, D-04109 Leipzig, Raum 5-53

Kontakt: projekt oekonux.de