Re: [ox] Re: [pox] Re: License for a Wiki

Hi Hans-Gert!

Am Donnerstag 28 April 2005 16:44 schrieb Hans-Gert Gräbe:
Thomas U. Grüttmüller wrote:
If the pages in question would have been licensed under the CC-BY
license, you would have cancelled your granted rights as well. Here are
the relevant

excerpts from CC-BY 2.0:
| You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the
| disclaimer of warranties.

This can be done as easily as putting a link to
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0 (best with the CC img as
proposed on creativecommons.org) in each of the page footers.

With the GFDL, this is easily done, too. But obviously not easy enough.

| This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate
| automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License.

I think this can only be interpreted in such a way that the license
automatically renews if the license breaching action is healed (e.g. if
Stefan puts a disclaimer in the footer of each Wiki page).

I doubt that.

You can ask this on gnu.misc.discuss gnu.org for the GFDL, and on
cc-licenses lists.ibiblio.org for the CC licenses. The folks on
debian-legal lists.debian.org are very competent, too.

The problem is also that the pages might have been accessed meanwhile. So, in
order to revert the copyright violation, Stefan would have to find out who
has accessed the pages, and then send these people the corrected version.
That would be technically impossible.

I.e., _if_ we
agree to put all Wiki-4-material under GFDL and have such an information
in the footer, _you_ have no legal way to forbid us to use the material
that you released earlier under the GFDL. That's the main point as I
understood GFDL so far.

Yes, if the terms of the GFDL are precisely followed, there won't be any
reason to forbid anyone to copy, distribute or modify the works.

I might even consider renewing the GFDL for Stefan, but for this, I must be
sure first, that he is taking the GFDL seriously.

Bye,
Thomas }:o{#
Kontakt: projekt oekonux.de