Re: [ox] Patriarchat und Netzaktivismus

From: "Benni Bärmann" <benni obda.de>
To: <liste oekonux.de>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ox] Patriarchat und Netzaktivismus

But with this i don´t confirm. Sure it is possible to get rid of all what
is
of interest (for us here) on free software to make it more like nonfree
software. But that is no solution for the problem.

I didn't say that. The 'free' aspect of fr ee software is one which
refers to legal matters, to the issue of commodification and
propriatory standards. I don't think it implies the adolescent
male hobby character of most of its producers who already
have a job and can therefor continue the 'myth of the free'
and then wonder why the whole free software project gets stuck
somewhere down the line. We are talking here about specific
cultural formations. Not about the free software principles
and the GPL as a legal entity (which, I think, no one questions
here).

I am certain that there other, open and professional ways
possible which break with the male hobby culture without
having to throw out the GPL principle.

Linux and other free software packages come with a
certain cultural bagage. If free software has to spread in
society (that is, outside of the server markets) the current
culture needs to be questioned and eventually replaced by
something else, hopefully a broader and more colorful
coalition of progressive forces.

Geert